How to become a part of TalyaWren : Spring 2012.
This year’s zine is going to be a bit smaller at 8 ½ x 5 ½. It is also going to be black & white only. This does not mean it will be any less awesome. Submissions due:February 03, 2012
!!–We are looking for something visually illustrative/related to one of these four subjects: Vocals, Instruments, Dance, Drama/Theater.
- –Artwork need not be submitted in b/w, but do consider how it might translate.
- –Size is another consideration, but please do not find this daunting.
- –Draw, paint, photograph, montage, an image of a sculpture…
!!–We are looking for poems, short-essays/opinion pieces, and short stories inspired by or directly related to one of these four subjects: Vocals, Instruments, Dance, Drama/Theater.
- –For the sake of legible font-size, essays and stories need to mind 300 words or less; or 600 words or less. We will work with word count and space if the submission is that good. We will help with the editing process if that is a concern.
- –essays/opinion pieces can vary in theme under each of the 4 umbrellas. We will be featuring a longer piece on why Musical Education is important to keep in our Schools. Feel to speak to this or anything else.
- –Ideas: How does (or has) your experience as a Singer, Instrumentalist, Dancer, Actor, Stage Crewman, Producer, Song Writer, Costume or Set Designer, etc. affect(ed) you positively (or negatively)? Do you have a funny story? Do you have a hero you would like to call to our attention? Is there an injustice or something beautiful you would like to write eloquently about? Do you have a fantastic experience of a show or growing up w/ a performer to share?
- –We will be hosting “Questions to Think About” on our blog and we will be doing surveys. Perhaps one of those prompts will inspire a nice bit of writing.
- –If you are interested in interviewing your music teacher: email us, we have questions we concocted for Natalya’s Choir and Orchestra instructors. Let’s talk!
!!–If you would like to be included in any survey or poll, make sure we have your e-mail with the notice: please be sure to include me in any survey or poll.
- -Our audience is aged 10 & up.
- -You are not limited to one submission.
- -Please include your name, age, location, and the title of your piece and a date with each submission.
- -If you are a minor, please have your parent’s permission to participate.
- -We are hoping to receive enough interest that we will have to make Natalya and company choose what goes into print. If, for whatever reason, the submission cannot fit or is not chosen, we will likely ask to feature it on the blog with the release of the zine. You will be asked permission.
- -We will send a zine to each contributor of a work of art or written piece that is printed in the zine. We hope to be able to afford to do this regardless of the number of contributors per household. We also want to gift a zine if an artistic contribution is accompanied by a monetary one. We hope that the smaller size and b/w printing will make this feasible.
- -You can submit pieces by mail or you can email them to talyawrenzine[at]stonhaus[dot]com. Please email for questions, concerns, and a mailing address if needed.
- -Remember the Submission’s Due Date: February 03, 2012! We will send out reminders.