We are to print! Hurray!
The weekend was well-spent. It was a bit crazed though and perhaps more angst-filled than necessary. Okay, I know it was more trouble than necessary. Here’s why: We changed the cover.
When contemplating binding options (something we will decide on next to first in the future) we settled on Accordian. I don’t know if that is an actual term for binding/publishing. We have quite a few pages that we did not want to shrink or cut for this edition. We had already moved from half-page to full 8 1/2 x 11. Still, we were up to 49 numbered pages. Include covers, inside and out, 25 sheets. Lying in Saturday, I ignored my bladder and contemplated the zine (not unusual) and I thought: a small accordianed zine would be cute, a post-trip postcard-like zine. Not much later I was telling Sean of the idea. That is when we kicked-out the idea to do that with this Spring 2011 edition of TalyaWren.
So, you think organizing pages is tricky enough with a regular flip-the-pages structure…
In the end, Sean took the pages, used some tape, and tried to play out the structure. Bless him for taking on that headache. I thought I had had a good vision of it, but there was a flaw somewhere. So Sean worked it out, and two pages were still cut. The cutting was a difficult decision with which N met nobly. Suggestions were made, but she had the final word.
What does the format have to do with the cover? Well, we were thinking of examples of accordianed pages. The cassette tape insert came to mind. Yep, that was entertaining explaining that one to N.
Sean had work to do this weekend so I took over the drawing of the cover. Some trace paper, black ink, N’s colored pencils, and some images from inside the zine–voila! I think I have graduated from Kindergarten art to 1st grade! I made them swear that it wasn’t quaint or cute or charmingly infantile. Were they humoring me? new talyawren cover
Sean’s previous cover is fantastic. We do love it so. So we kept it: back cover Not too, shabby, eh?! It was going to lie under the flipped out cassette case, half-revealed, but Sean hit the transparency button and ‘ta-da!’ A portion of it will also reappear on the Table of Contents with a hand-drawn frame by N (which turned out rather spectacularly!).
So with cover changes and binding issues, we had a busy weekend, especially yesterday. It was a bit rushed, I worry. (We rearranged some pages as well.) But Sean is right–It’s done. Now to print, and to purchase tape–you know, to accordian those pages. Just when I was thinking the zine wasn’t hand-crafted enough!
We will be printing 30 copies. (Should have a fresh-eyed reader scan over it first–Nah, it is done!)
We hope and have every plan to have the zine in the mail by Monday morning April 11th at latest.
Now for those Bookmarks N promised…